I’m in love with this cover^^^
They came on a mission of mercy, but now they’re in a fight for their lives.
High schooler Will Peterson and three friends journeyed to Central America to help rebuild a school. In a poor, secluded mountain village, they won the hearts of the local people with their energy and kindness.
But in one sudden moment, everything went horribly wrong. A revolution swept the country. Now, guns and terror are everywhere―and Americans are being targeted as the first to die.
Will and his friends have got to get out fast. But streets full of killers . . .hills patrolled by armies . . . and a jungle rife with danger stand between them and the border. Their one hope of escape lies with a veteran warrior who has lost his faith and may betray them at any moment. Their one dream is to reach freedom and safety and home.
If they can just survive.
I went to the library about two weeks ago. I didn’t get the book I originally went for (they didn’t have it #Rude), I found this AMAZING book instead. The title was what caught my attention, upon reading the synopsis it sounded like my kind of book. “If We Survive” did not disappoint.
Let’s start with the Characters : All the characters were realistic. They all had good qualities, bad qualities, and character growth.
- Will : I am a picky person when it comes to main characters. I really enjoyed Will’s character and his narrator style. Will is a good kid in a tough situation who makes hard decisions. I love his bravery and good morals.
- Palmer : My favorite character from the moment he walked onto the page. He’s portrayed as a bit of a jerk in the first few chapters (but this is also because that is Will’s perception of him). Palmer however redeems himself pretty quickly. He is very intelligent and is the only thing standing between the rest of the group and death. I loved his backstory and the fact that he was an Ex- Marine. Plus the witty sarcasm!! Ok he’s my favorite I’ll stop rambling now.
- Nicki: Nicki starts the book as a typical diva, and honestly I thought she would end the book that way. But her character finally got a grip on her emotions and turned out to be really sweet.
- Meredith : Meredith is the definition of strong female character done right. She had a little problem with being “perfect” (but I don’t count being quiet/ shy as a negative trait so…). Meredith portrayed really strong moral character; and over-all strength while still being gentle and kind.
- Jim : The most annoying character for me. I just don’t understand delusional characters. He finally got a reality check and became semi-useful, but I’m still not a fan.
- Pastor Ron: Was a character who did what he felt was right at all times, even though he was a bit naïve on how things work in life.
The Yes Factor:
- I love the little mini stories about each character in the beginning of the book.
- Once the action started , it was paced perfectly.
- Romance was minimal, Will had a crush on Meredith. Meredith had a crush on Palmer. But it wasn’t a big part of the story, and it only added to the plot.
- Character development was A+.
- The “bad guys” were convincing and really well thought out. They weren’t just there to cause trouble for the group, they had goals and motivations.
The only thing negative I can think of is the action is a mite predictable; however I watch and read a lot of action so this could just be me. Even with that it was such a good read and kept my attention.
Since this is a library book, “If We Survive” got added to my wish list. I want to try some of Andrew Klavan’s other books, I’ve read good things about his Homelanders series.
Let’s Chat. Have you ever read anything by Andrew Klavan? Do you like action stories?
Forever & Always ,