Thanks Netgalley for the review copy.
I should probably start writing my thoughts of books down as I read them because once it’s over who remembers their thoughts (not me).
If I’m being honest it was the name and cover that had me wanting to read this book, I didn’t really care what it was about. Oh was I surprised! Geekerella is amazing! So let’s go ahead and list why ( and if you’re a curious bean and wonder why I said let’s it is because I have a pet dragon who does all my writing, therefore blame typos on him).
Reasons I loved Geekerella into the Black Nebula and back.
- This book is based around a fake fandom , but oh the inclusion of real fandom references. My personal favorites being Firefly and Captain America. However there is Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and more.
- Elle is such a cute geek, after losing her father , star field is her way of holding onto him. Her journey through grief and normal teenage problems is real and beautifully written.
- Yay for closet geek Darien. Well not because he is a closet geek but because he gets to represent the fanboys, who usually don’t get a big role in previous books I’ve read. Plus he is an adorably sweet boy and I loved his character.
- Sage is a good friend and sticks with Elle till the end of the line( high five if you understood that reference)
- Their phone conversations were the cutest and made me smile.
- The ending was realistic while still leaving my heart in my chest( which is arguably the best place for it).
Reasons My face twitched but it didn’t stop me from loving it.
- Had the case of instant love, because no offense a relationship built over about a month is like instant pudding.
- Catherine and Elle’s last conversation tore me to pieces . Good job on the emotions it caused but I would like permission to punch Catherine in the face with a chair. She is cruel and horrendous !
I loved how this book realistically portrayed Fandom life and why it means so much to us fangirls and fanboys involved! If you have ever found a place to belong – a home- in a fandom; if you ever saw a part of yourself in a character and no longer felt alone; if a movie or book or Convention has ever helped you through the hard parts of life, then you’ll love this book !!
Definitely 5 stars and I can’t wait to buy a paper copy!
Forever & Always,
What’s your favorite fandom? Have you ever been to a Con?